Please share your mold story with us. You can leave it as a comment or email it to us at We will post your story to our blog.

For those of you without a mold story, please read through the blog to educate yourself about toxic mold and the deadly effect that it has on humans and animals. Share what you have learned with others and spread the word.

Friday, December 28, 2007

My Toxic Mold Story...

We moved to 11689 McDonald Street in July 2005. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and due to give birth through planned c-section on August 19. I was a healthy 35 year old mother of an extremely healthy 6 ½ year old son (Evan). My husband (John) was healthy at the age of 37. None of us had ever had anything but the common cold in the past seven years.

Within 2 weeks of moving into the house on McDonald St, I woke up one morning with debilitating joint pain in my ankles, knees, wrists, every joint imaginable. It was so painful that I could not get out of bed without screaming in pain. My husband had to take off work to help me with our other son. He would put me in the bathtub and cradle me in warm water so the pain would subside. It helped relieve the pain a bit until morning when it all started over again. I had my baby (Caeden) on August 19 and never had this problem again. Therefore, I wrote this off as pregnancy related even though there is nothing to indicate that this is a normal part of pregnancy and it felt like something was very wrong with me that was not pregnancy related. However, this was the beginning of many unexplained illnesses.

Some time in September of 2005, I began to get hives all over my body. My dermatologist determined that it was not a food allergy and I was not on any medications. I continued to get these hives off an on the entire time I lived there (2 years). The last bout of hives lasted for 2 months until we moved out of that house in fear of the health of our family. Immediately after moving out, my hives disappeared.

In July of 2006, my oldest son began to get headaches at least 3 or 4 nights a week. His eyes were tested and he had no vision problems. We did not report this to the doctor until June of 2007 when we discovered toxic mold in our house. The reason why we discovered the presence of toxic mold is because our baby began to have severe respiratory problems in February of 2007 at the age of 18 months. He began coughing but only at night sometime in December of 2006. On the morning of February 15th of 2007, he woke up wheezing. The Dr. prescribed an inhaler. The wheezing stopped.

On the morning of March 6, 2007, he woke up wheezing, gasping for breath, retracting chest and abdominal muscles, losing consciousness and turning blue around his mouth. His blood oxygen level was at 88%. He was admitted to the ER and then to the hospital for 3 days where he received several doses of steroids, antibiotics, IV’s and 24 hour oxygen. He was diagnosed with a lung infection in one lung, and ear infection and a sinus infection. He was released and place on steroids at home along with a nebulizer. He made regular weekly visits to the Dr for the next month and checked out just fine.

Then on May 21, 2007, the same thing happened all over again. He was fine when he went to bed and then woke up not being able to breathe, turning blue, losing consciousness etc. His blood oxygen level was at 86%. The Dr admitted him to the hospital, where he stayed-on oxygen and IVs for 4 days. Both lungs were infected this time. His pediatrician could not understand why or how these infections came on so suddenly and with such severity. She recommended that we go on an extended vacation or move from that house.

My oldest son whose headaches started in July of 2006, began to have headaches every night by May of 2007. He also began to have nosebeeds on a regualr basis. Additionally, he was having a difficult time concentrating during the day. In May he began to run a fever. It peaked at 104 and lasted for approximately 3 days. The Dr could not find anything wrong with him. A week later he began to cough violently. He went back to the Dr and she diagnosed him with a lung infection.

My husband and I began to become ill as well. My illnesses started soon after I moved in as mentioned before. These illnesses will be outlined as a timeline in a future post. The end result was that my husband is still dealing with respiratory problems (and is still on an inhaler) and I ended up with a severe sinus infection that did not respond to routine antibiotics.

We hired a mold inspection service to check for toxic mold on the advice of a friend. They found toxic mold in my baby's room. As a result, we feared for the lives of our children so much, that in June of 2007, we began living in a tent in the backyard. We had no other place to stay and was desperately looking for a different home to rent. I will post more detailed blogs about the mold, our interaction with our landlady, her homeowners insurace company, the hospitalization, numerous medical visits, attorneys etc in the future.


We moved into a new home only to discover MORE MOLD and another near death experience for my youngest child (click to read this update)

Just when we thought we were out of the woods, our youngest child has to be hospitalized for the 4th time in 2 years (all between the ages of 18 months and 4 years old) (click to read this update)


  1. I was looking for the rest of your blog on the landlord and ect. I am involved in the same thing and looking for stories like mine.

  2. Hello,

    Unfortunately, the landlord for the house on McDonald street is over. She (and her homeowner's insurance) refused to pay for the mold testing and offered no resolution whatsoever to clean up the mold. We moved out and continue to deal with health issues that was instigated by the toxic mold exposure.

  3. MY GOD this is happening to my family right now. We have been in a tent due to the mold and I can't get rid of the hives.

  4. I'm sorry this happened to your family. If you would like more information about health effects of mold, go to and

  5. This, too, happened to us. My advice: GET OUT NOW!!!! Unfortunately, getting out may not solve your health issues because you may now have neurotoxins circulating throughout your body. The body needs extensive help eliminating neurotoxins, and in the meantime you may get sicker and sicker. ALSO, do NOT rely on your MD to understand or help you. What many people are finding is that without bioenergy treatment, they never fully get well. One of the best resources for you will be Dr. Klinghardt and his neurotoxin elimination protocol. For us, we have been devastated on so many levels--physically, economically, emotionally--I am not sure that we'll ever fully recover. I applaud everyone who is telling their toxic mold stories on the web because the medical community has chosen to remain ignorant thus far on this very, very serious health issue that is becoming more and more prevalent. God help us all.

  6. For those of you who have developed hypersensitivity to your environment as a result of toxic mold, we found NAET allergy elimination techinque helped us immensely and enabled us to find place in the world that we could tolerate again. We also have found that Quantum Biofeedback helped reprogram our bodies, although it hasn't fully cured us. We are also taking cholestyramine (recommended by Ritchie Shoemaker, MD) and Nystatin and garlic and many, many homeopathic anti-mold, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-parasite remedies. Yes, now that we've been poisoned by toxic mold, our bodies are being repeatedly invaded by worms and other parasites. This experience has already stolen 18 months of our lives, will bankrupt us, and may actually take one or more of our lives. All of us, including our pets, got sick, each in our unique ways, each with varying severity. There is something spooky that accompanies toxic mold...most people who get sick use the term "nightmarish". If you have never experienced it, you really can't fully understand it. The MDs who are knowledgeable about it are the ones who got poisoned and discovered that allopathic medicine alone was not enough and were courageous enough and desperate enough to educate themselves further on other approaches to sickenss and health. I advise anyone suffering the effects of toxic mold to persistently search the internet. Look up KLINGHARDT, SHOEMAKER, NAET, BIOENERGY, QUANTUM BIOFEEDBACK,NEUROTOXINS, LYME (closely related and the Lyme bacteria may accompany toxic mold in water-damaged buildings). May there be healing and closure for us all.

  7. My husband and 2 small children are going through a very similar situation. Our youngest started having breathing issues 3 weeks after moving into our new home. We had no clue what was causing it. He was only 7 months at that time. He has been in and out of the hospital and dr office for the past year. After the last major episode, about 5 weeks ago, where he was fine one night and by the next morning his O2 level was 85%!...We decided enough was enough. We hired inspectors and an attorney. Turns out the man that remodeled the house and sold it to us on a land contract did really shady work. There are fire hazards, structural hazards, and there is mold EVERYWHERE. Our walls are turning to literal mush because of the moisture and mold...he just painted over it and covered it up. We took pictures, we are having the local building inspector and fire marshal come out...and we are suing him. We moved out about 3 weeks ago and are into a new place. You can sue up to 3 or 4 times the amount you put into the home when you are dealing with situations like this. I would definitely not just deal with it. I want this man to not be able to sell or rent homes ever again. This is not his first time doing this either so I'm confident he will be paying the consequences for his greediness and disregard for other's safety. I hope you all take an agressive approach to slime buckets that don't care about your families. They need to be held accountable.

  8. Hello everybody,
    Is it when you have moved, you are rid of all your furniture, clothes, etc. ... ?

  9. Molds are part of the natural environment. In outdoors, molds play an important part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, etc. But indoors, mold growth should be avoided and prevented. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye (only on microscope) and float through outdoor and indoor air and contaminate areas. Mold may begin to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or areas with moisture. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. So, moisture plays a great part of it.
    They attack usually on foods but they also attack non-food items like leather, wood and porcelain. Do you notice your allergic reactions are worse when you're at home but you feel better when you go out? Well, expect it. If so then it's especially likely you could have mold. Don’t go weary of staying in one place. Find a way for mold detection